Table of Contents
Club Z! Tutoring Review Summary
Club Z! offers reputable in-home and online tutoring to children and adults across North America. Tutors must reside in the US or Canada, have completed a 4-year degree and possess 1 year of experience. Pay varies depending on location and age, hours are part-time and variable, and hiring is only done to meet demand.
|Pay (per hour):||$10-$55*|
|Native / Non-Native Speakers accepted?||US, Canada|
|TEFL / TESOL / CELTA required?||No|
|Degree / diploma required?||Yes|
|Adult / child students?||Both**|
|Minimum hours (per week):||0|
Club Z! Pros and Cons
- Well-established and trusted company for over 25 years
- Offers both online and in-person tuition
- Supportive management
- Straightforward application and interview
- Most students remain with the same tutor throughout their tuition
- Teachers require a 4-year degree, 1 year of experience, and North American residency
- Pay is not publicized, varies by student age and location, and does not cover planning or travel (to in-person jobs)
- Part-time hours, not enough for a full-time job
- The amount of work (and earnings) can be inconsistent and volatile
- Only accepts applications to meet demand
What Is Club Z! Tutoring and Is Club Z! Tutoring Legit?
Club Z! is a legitimate, American tutoring company that has been in existence since 1995. Over the last 25+ years it has grown to become one of the largest one-on-one tutoring programs in the world, with thousands of educators delivering test prep, in-home and online tutoring to over 1 million students.
Club Z!’s headquarters are in Tampa, Florida, though there are more than 450 Club Z! Tutoring locations in franchises across North America. Trustpilot gives the company a rating of 3.8 out of 5, while it ranked in Entrepreneur magazine’s top-500 franchise list between 2019 and 2021.
While targeted at prospective Club Z! franchise owners, this video provides an introduction to the company:
Club Z! Tutoring Services
A Club Z! In-Home Tutoring service is offered in over 450 Club Z! locations across North America. These tutoring sessions may take place at the student’s home, in schools, at after-school facilities, libraries, or community centers.
Club Z! online tutoring is also offered, demonstrated in this video below:
Club Z! students range from Pre-K level up to adult, though over 50% are children at elementary school.
The Club Z! Tutoring program is individualized (though sometimes conducted in small groups), with a strong focus on remedial basic skills comprehension. Students are expected to improve by 2 letter grades within 60 days of starting their tuition.
Club Z! Tutoring subjects include (but are not limited to):
- All core subjects, i.e.:
- Study skills
- Foreign languages
- Standardized test prep
- Assessment testing, e.g.:
- Music lessons
How Does Club Z! Work?
Tutors and students are paired through the ‘Z! Tutor Match‘ system, based upon 4 criteria:
- Academic Strengths: Tutors are matched with the student based on his/her academic weaknesses. Many Club Z! tutors are certified teachers, and all possess an educational degree and relevant tutoring experience.
- Availability: Club Z! tutors are matched with the student based on their scheduling preferences. Whether it’s after school, weekends, evenings, or during academic breaks, there are tutors that accommodate the busiest academic or athletic schedules.
- Personality: Club Z! tutors are matched with students based on complementary personality traits. The introduction of an encouraging third party with whom the student can relate can often restart a fresh flow of learning. Plus, the same tutor will teach the child every time so that rapport can develop.
- Teaching Style: Tutors are matched with the student based on their preferred learning style. Club Z! tutors are effective because they understand the personality, interests, and learning style of their students. They believe that when a student is seen as a whole, both learning and self-esteem can flourish.
The company operates a ‘Z! Guarantee‘, which allows the student/parents to change their tutor if they are dissatisfied at all.
Club Z! Hours
There are no set Club Z! Tutoring hours, though there is higher student demand after-school and on weekends.
Tutors can accept or decline as many students as they wish, and their scheduling preferences are a factor when being matched.
How Much Does Club Z! Pay Tutors?
Club Z! Tutoring rates are determined by individual franchise owners, and thus vary according to the student’s location as well as their age.
Teachers who have shared their Club Z! rates show a range between US$10-$55 on Glassdoor, which is corroborated on Indeed. Comparing this with Club Z! tutor salary information on CareerBliss and Zippia provides an average Club Z! Tutoring pay of $19-$21.70 an hour.
Club Z! also offers a referral scheme, whereby tutors receive a $100 gift card for every student they refer that signs up for Club Z! tuition.
Club Z! Requirements
Club Z! requires its tutors to:
- Be US citizens, residing in and authorized to work in North America
- Possess a 4-year degree or higher
- Have at least 1-year teaching or tutoring experience
- Pass a criminal background check
How to Become a Club Z! Tutor
To apply for Club Z! Tutoring jobs, click on this link to ‘Become a Tutor‘, and submit the following details:
- Location Information:
- Postal/ZIP code
- Contact Information:
- First name
- Last name
- Phone number
- Email address
- How you heard about Club Z!
- Undergraduate Degree:
- Degree Type
- Graduate Degree:
- Degree Type
- Teaching Certificate? (if so, in what subject)
- Availability Information:
- Select up to three start/end intervals, during each day of the week, for which you are available.
- How many hours are you available per week?
- Select subjects within the following Categories:
- English Language Arts
- Foreign Languages
- Graduate Test Prep
- Social Science
- Social Studies
- Technology and Computer Science
- Test Prep
- Select subjects within the following Categories:
It can take 14 business days to process a Club Z! Tutoring application, though you will only be contacted if and when they have any positions available.
Club Z! Tutoring Interview
Club Z! tutors are screened and background checked prior to hiring. Part of this process is an interview, conducted either over the phone or via Zoom.
You will be expected to demonstrate your subject expertise and answer a series of more general questions regarding your experience and approach to teaching/tutoring (here is a list of past Club Z! interview questions that have been asked):
- Tell me about yourself
- Describe the position you are applying for
- What is your expertise and experience (with children/tutoring)?
- What makes you a good fit for this position / What makes you a good fit for tutoring?
- Why do you want to be teacher/tutor?
- Do you have any background in teaching?
- What areas/subjects are you confident tutoring and why?
- Tell me about your subject background
- What level can you teach up to?
- How do you go about teaching?
- How do you measure success?
- How would you help your students progress with their academics?
- How would you deal with a student uninterested in the topic?
- How do you keep students engaged during the tutoring session?
- How would you build your rapport with your tutees?
- What would you do in [insert] situation? e.g. Child wasn’t focusing/learning
- Have you worked with students with disabilities?
- How would you deal with a child that has ADHD as opposed to one without?
- How would you deal with students who learn English as a second language or who came from a poor background?
- Have you worked with difficult kids? How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a conflict you had and how you resolved it
- How do you keep your cool under pressure?
- What do you do with your spare time?
- How many hours can you work each week?
- How many students would you be able to have?
Working for Club Z! Tutoring Reviews
The Club Z! Glassdoor page gives the company an average rating of 4.2 out of 5, with 82% wiling to recommend them. Here is the summary of pros and cons from these reviews of Club Z! Tutoring:
These Club Z! Tutoring employee reviews are generally quite short, talking positively about the job’s flexibility, pay, understanding management and nice students/families. Here is one example:
The most common Club Z! Tutoring complaints are regarding the inconsistency of the work, and the distances required to travel (unpaid) for in-person jobs. This more-detailed, recent Club Z! Tutoring job review also criticizes the company’s student vetting process, incomplete information given for virtual tutorials, limited hours, and parent cancellations:
The Club Z! Tutoring Indeed score is 4.3 out of 5. The reviews for Club Z! Tutoring here provide similar comments, adding that the work is rewarding but some of the planning is unpaid, the attitude of students/parents is not always nice, and the amount of hours (and by extension, earnings) is extremely volatile:
Conclusion – Is Club Z! Worth It?
Club Z! are a longstanding and reputable brand that most existing tutors recommend with few complaints. The major issues to consider are how many hours you require as they only provide part-time numbers which are sporadic, whether you are willing to do in-home tutoring or further restrict yourself to online only, and how quickly you require work as they only hire when there’s demand. Club Z! are a good option to have in your portfolio of employers, even if they are not a comprehensive solution.
You can apply for Club Z! jobs here.
A full list of other online teaching companies can be found here.