Honest Nao Now Tutoring Review – Read Before Applying! (2022)
Table of Contents
- Nao Now Tutoring Review Summary
- Nao Now Tutoring Pros and Cons
- Is Nao Now Tutoring Legit?
- Nao Now Tutoring Salary
- Nao Now Tutoring Hours
- Nao Now Tutoring Requirements
- Nao Now Tutoring Application Process
- Nao Now Tutoring Reviews
- Conclusion – Is Nao Now Tutoring Worth It?
Nao Now Tutoring Review Summary
Nao Now Tutoring is a US-based education company that provides online ESL lessons for adult and child students, mostly from South Korea. They want Native English Speakers who have their Bachelor’s degree or are currently enrolled and pay $18-26 per hour, depending on experience.
|Pay (per hour):||$18-$26*|
|Location / language requirements?||Native English Speaker|
|Degree / diploma required?||Bachelor’s or proof of enrollment|
|Teaching certificate required?||No|
|Teaching experience required?||No|
|Adult / child students?||Both|
|Minimum hours (per week):||0|
Nao Now Tutoring Pros and Cons
- Decent pay rate
- Curriculum is provided to tutors
- Tutors make their own schedule
- Choice of 1v1 tutoring session or group classes
- Students are children or adults
- Tutors can get a sub for a session if needed
- There is no minimum hourly requirement to work at Nao Now
- Time zones can be difficult to manage, even when making your own schedule
- Company is selective about which tutors it hires
- Some tutors say there are not a lot of students on Nao Now and they may only book one class a week
Is Nao Now Tutoring Legit?
Nao Now LLC is an online English language tutoring company that is based in Dallas, Texas. Nao Now was started by Ivy League graduates who created a diversified curriculum designed to engage learners of different ages and language proficiency levels. The company is still in the startup phase of its development.
Nao Now uses learning about culture and science to drive their instruction. Nao Now has many lessons that are connected to cultural topics ranging from talking about Times Square to Lady Gaga. Everything is found within their online platform.
Nao Now uses Canvas to post lessons and curricula for students and tutors. Canvas is a learning management system adopted by many universities and school systems. Canvas is used for all ages and is easy to use to post and turn in work.
Here is a brief video introduction from Nao Now tutors:
Nao Now Tutoring Salary
Nao Now tutor pay starts at US$18 per hour, but depending on your experience it could be higher. Nao Now is a contract job.
It is possible, after working 6 months, for Nao Nao tutoring pay to be raised to $26 an hour.
There is an option to become a substitute tutor, offering $11 an hour to be on call and $18 for any teaching that is picked up in that time.
Nao Now Tutoring Hours
Tutors set their hours through the Nao Now scheduling interface. Most of the students come from South Korea, which means teaching early in the morning or late in the evenings, depending on your time zone.
There is no minimum hours requirement at Nao Now. In addition, substitutes are often needed to cover the peak hours of 4-10am (Eastern Standard Time).
Nao Now Tutoring lessons last either 30 or 60 minutes.
Nao Now Tutoring Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree or proof of enrollment in a BA program
- Excellent command of the English language (Native English Speakers preferred)
- Ability to teach students of all ages and from different backgrounds
- Ability to work after-hours, on weekends and public holidays, as required
- Display patience and cultural awareness
Though the Nao Now website advertises that ‘many’ of their tutors are ‘graduates of Ivy League colleges’, this is a preferred rather than essential requirement.
Nao Now Tutoring Application Process
- Fill out an initial application. Tutors will need an updated resume, and a copy of their transcript, current enrollment or degree.
- Interview involves intrapersonal questions and basic interview questions. Tutors applying are also expected to give a 15-minute demo lesson using the Nao Now curriculum. The interview process lasts around 45 minutes.
- Acceptance into Nao Now.
- Tutors begin booking classes, based on the level of English proficiency they were hired to teach.
- Students pick the module they want to learn through Canvas modules.
To apply to become a tutor for Nao Now, visit the website, select ‘Tutors’ on the homepage and click on apply. Fill out the questionnaire, attach a transcript or proof of degree, a resume, and write a quick introduction to use as an elevator pitch with a new student. Once submitted, Nao Now sends an email confirmation that the application is under review.
Nao Now Tutoring Interview
Tutors who pass the initial screening go through a 45-minute interview process, where they are expected to answer questions and give a 15-minute Nao Now demo lesson. During the interview, tutors may be asked to give a pretend pitch where they must persuade parents as to why they would be the best tutor for their child.
Nao Now Tutoring Reviews
The Nao Now Glassdoor page provides a high average rating of 4.8 out of 5, with 93% willing to recommend them, though this is calculated from just 17 reviews and none since 2021 (at the time of writing). The main points from these Nao Now reviews can be summarized as follows:
- Flexible admin
- Flexible hours and schedule
- Good communication
- Sweet and enthusiastic students
- Enjoyable and engaging pre-made curriculum
- Flexible, accommodating and attentive management
- Autonomy over topics taught
- Time zone differences can be difficult to manage
- Flow of students can be inconsistent
- Only part-time work
Conclusion – Is Nao Now Tutoring Worth It?
Nao Now appears like a decent option for tutors who want more competitive pay with minimal prep, as Nao Now provides the curriculum, while the zero hours minimum commitment offers additional flexibility. However, there doesn’t seem to be a huge number of tutors working for Nao Now, which begs the question of just how many students are actually available for bookings through the platform. It does seem like a better fit for a tutor looking to work just part-time, or even a current college student wanting to build up their teaching experience.
You can apply to Nao Now Tutoring here.
A list of other non-China companies can be found here.
Contact us to help update this article, share your experiences, or suggest other companies to review.