Table of Contents
Twenix Review Summary
Twenix is a Spanish corporate English trainer that hires C2 speakers to teach adult professionals 1v1 in 26-minute conversation classes. Formal qualifications and experience aren’t essential, and there is no minimum hours requirement, though the pay is €8-12 an hour and recruitment is only when needed.
|Pay (per hour):||€8-12|
|Location / language requirements?||Native or native-level (C2) English|
|Degree / diploma required?||No|
|Teaching certificate required?||Preferred|
|Teaching experience required?||No|
|Student age (Adults/Children)?||Adults|
|Minimum hours (per week):||0|
Twenix Pros and Cons
- Minimal qualifications and experience required
- Simple application process
- Classes automatically assigned so teachers don’t have to market themselves
- Last-minute bookings option
- Most students are adult professionals
- Teaching materials provided
- Rapidly growing company
- Low pay
- Only actively hires when needed
- No child teaching for those who prefer it
- Negative teacher reviews reporting poor communication, management and support (though a new Teacher Support Team has since been introduced offering greater transparency and quicker response times)
Is Twenix Legit?
Twenix is a B2B English language learning company that was founded in Almería in 2017. This start-up is rapidly expanding, tripling its number of teachers between June 2021 and July 2022, and delivering more classes in the first half of 2022 than the entire previous year. There are (at the time of writing) over 300 Twenix English teachers.
Twenix’s primary markets are currently Spain and Italy, where they have worked with over 400 organizations, including massive international brands like Puma and Just Eat. Their legitimacy is further evidenced by raising €5.5million of investment across two funding rounds in 2021 and 2022, from Banco Sabadell and Brighteye, Europe’s largest vertical EdTech Venture Capital Firm.
How Does Twenix ESL Teaching Work?
Twenix English classes are aimed at helping corporate teams master English through daily conversation sessions. Adopting a micro-learning approach, 26-minute classes are delivered online one-on-one by Twenix teachers (known as ‘Tweachers’), using a methodology that encourages student-led practice in work-based scenarios.
Twenix covers levels A2 to C1+, and topics are picked by the students, with all teaching materials provided and designed to require just 2 minutes of prep time.
Below is a video demonstration of the Twenix platform:
How Much Does Twenix Pay?
The Twenix teacher pay rate is not advertised by the company, but those working there have reported that it ranges between €4-6 a class, equating to €8-12 an hour. This Twenix salary can supposedly be supplemented by an ‘Incentives system that rewards our most loyal teachers’, though again specifics are not shared.
Twenix payments are issued via Wise.
Twenix has no minimum hours requirement and offers teachers ‘full flexibility’ over their schedules.
Twenix classes last 26 minutes and are automatically assigned to any free slots that are open, so teachers do not have to market themselves to students, though class ratings are factored into one’s employment status.
The company also offers an optional ‘last-minute bookings’ function, allowing teachers to be assigned classes starting in less than 2 hours (or more than 15 minutes).
To become a Twenix teacher you must be:
- A native or native-level (C2) English speaker
- Able to easily engage on a wide variety of business topics (ranging from customer service, HR, IT and marketing)
- Passionate about helping people achieve their English learning goals
- Legally registered as a freelancer in your country of residence
- A great conversationalist who can easily elicit answers from your students
- Motivational and inspirational
- Able to meet the necessary technical requirements, with access to:
The following credentials are preferred but are not mandatory:
- ESL certified
- Experience teaching online classes
- Possess a ‘can-do’ attitude and willingness to improve your knowledge of different business sectors
- Consider yourself tech-savvy
Twenix Application Process
Twenix does not overhire and so only recruits new teachers when they are needed, which is why some have reported it taking months for a response. At times when the company is actively recruiting, then it should only take a couple of days to complete a straightforward application process:
- Submit application
- One-way recorded interview
- Onboarding program
- Start teaching
To begin, visit the Twenix careers page and click on the ‘Start Application’ button. You will then be asked to answer the following questions, including some statements aimed at assessing your teaching style:
- What’s your full name?
- What’s your email address?
- What’s your nationality?
- Where are you legally registered to work?
- Do you have any certification in teaching ESL?
- What’s your level of education related to teaching ESL?
- Do you have any experience teaching English online?
- How many hours per week would you be able to offer your services at Twenix?
- Upload your CV in English (PDF format)
- Do you speak Spanish or Italian at at least an intermediate level?
- Do you know any English tutor working at Twenix now?
- What would you aim to achieve with your student in a 26-minute conversation class?
- What do you think higher level students are looking to get out of their lessons?
- How do you build rapport with your student during a 26 minute conversation class?
- To what extent do you agree with this statement: “I prefer for my student to understand a couple of concepts really well at the end of the lesson, so as to not overwhelm them with corrections during the class.”
- To what extent do you agree with this statement: “I make sure my students feel their classes are linked to one another.”
- To what extent do you agree with this statement: “Even if my student understands the target vocabulary I make sure to provide all the definitions at the beginning of the lesson.”
- To what extent do you agree with this statement: “I think it’s really important to correct my student after every mistake they make.”
- To what extent do you agree with this statement: “I don’t spend time reviewing my student’s past learning, I only focus on the lesson at hand.”
- To what extent do you agree with this statement: “I make sure that my student and I are using the target vocabulary throughout the lesson.This question is required.”
- I am +18 years old and I accept that I am legally registered to work as a freelancer in [country of residence].
Twenix Interview Process
To allow Twenix to be more efficient and reduce their overall response time, the company has stopped offering live interviews and now only conducts a one-way interview, with candidates pre-recording answers to a few short questions/tasks. This must be completed within 10 days of receiving the link.
Successful interviewees have to pass onboarding courses and a 2-week induction period where their performance is monitored, before they officially become a ‘tweacher’.
Twenix Reviews – What Is It Like Working With Twenix?
The Twenix Glassdoor page currently gives the company an aggregated score of 4.5 out of 5, with 93% willing to recommend them. I have collated all the comments that have been left over the past year, which talk positively about the flexible schedule, provided teaching materials, simple interview and onboarding process, though there are complaints about the rating system and level of pay, with mixed opinions regarding the seasonality of bookings:
- “It has a flexible schedule and good people
- FLEXIBILITY High season with lots of classes
- Lessons are all set up for you – so no worries coming up with plans.
- Excellent pay, easy to receive in local currency, no delays – Flexible schedule, you have full control of your classes, easy transfer process – Students from around the world – Materials are provided, 26 minute classes -Simple interview and onboarding process
- I started working at Twenix in April 2022, and so far, I have had the most incredible journey throughout my online teaching experience. The staff are very engaging, helpful, supportive and most importantly keep us up-to-date with information regarding the company. The staff are always willing to help if you have any technical issues or concerns. They also constantly encourage us to attend weekly meetings to help further the learning and teaching experience of the student and teachers. I love that ever since I started working alongside Twenix, I have met lovely, polite and respectful students and built great friendships. Twenix offers the flexibility of schedules, freedom, support and guidance! I am proud to be a Tweacher 😊🤩
- You get to choose your own working hours Good side hustle
- Good curriculum, easy to follow questions”
- “The pay is too low
- Low pay, 8 Euros an hour in 2023, Low season with very few classes, You have to teach 10,000 + classes just to get one Euro raise
- There are sometimes a lack of classes available to teach
- I guess when some months there are not as many high bookings from students, but then again, the good thing about it is that Twenix staff members inform us about that way ahead of time and encourage us to teach as many classes as we can by sending newsletters via email.
- They would do all horrible things at me. First they would change the reviews students gave me and lower them. When I asked for something the support team would NEVER ANSWER They would mess up my schedule without me knowing making me lose classes and penalise me for that.
- Has a high standard of rating 4.7/5, if you fall below the rating you have the option of being fired. Which is ridiculous considering some students rate you negatively for no reason. Students have the power to allow you to lose your job if they rate you low“
Though there has previously been heavy criticism of the company’s support system, this has since been overhauled with the introduction of a new Teacher Support Team that promises greater transparency and quicker response times.
Conclusion – Is Twenix Worth It?
For many teachers, the low rate that Twenix pays will be enough to exclude them. Sadly, the amount is actually on par with what similar companies get away with paying in the current industry, indicating that there are teachers still willing to work for this amount. If that is you, then the company offers good flexibility, though their recruitment process and the number of bookings available are seasonal.