Table of Contents
Apollo English Review Summary
Apollo English is a well-established Vietnamese company hiring teachers with Bachelor’s degrees and teaching certificates to deliver online group classes. They offer between $15-23/hr depending on experience, and materials are provided, though they require a minimum of 10 hours over a fixed weekly schedule.
|Pay (per hour):
|$15-23 (usually offers $16)
|Full mastery of English (accepts Native and C1 Non-Native Speakers)
|Bachelor’s degree or higher
|Teaching certificate required?
|120-hour TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/Trinity Cert.
|45-60 minutes, 8 students max.
|Adults or children (though more younger learners)
|Hours (per week):
|10 hours minimum, fixed weekly schedule
between 7.30am-10pm (Mon-Fri) and 7.45am-8.15pm (Sat & Sun)
Apollo English Pros and Cons
- Reputable and long-standing institution
- Higher pay reported than many online companies currently
- Available hours are largely filled with class bookings
- Syllabus and materials are provided
- Requires a degree and teaching certificate
- Fixed schedule and minimum hours requirement limits flexibility
- Group classes won’t suit those who prefer teaching 1v1
- Relatively new to online delivery, with fewer experiences reported of this
Is Apollo English Legit?
Apollo English, also known as Apollo Education and Training, is a long-running and legitimate teaching company from Vietnam. They were established in 1995 and have since grown to over 70 centers domestically, having won a number of awards in that time. In 2022, Apollo was recognized as one of the best-managed companies in Southeast Asia by leading international consultants Deloitte.
While many teachers work physically in an Apollo English Center whilst earning their CELTA qualification, the company now also facilitates online learning and hires remote educators for that purpose. Teaching is conducted across a range of levels, ages and courses, and a syllabus is provided to follow.
Below are corporate videos introducing the company and its Apollo@Home online program:
How Much Does Apollo English Pay?
For local Vietnamese, an Apollo English Teaching Assistant salary amounts to ₫23K – ₫33K/hr.
It is important to note that pay is subject to a 20% tax in Vietnam.
Apollo English Hours and Schedule
Apollo English group classes (up to 8 students) last between 45-60 minutes, and teachers are expected to provide a minimum of 10 hours a week (including 4 on weekends).
Weekly schedules are fixed and fall between 7.30am to 10pm (ICT) on Mondays to Fridays and 7.45am to 8.15pm on Saturday and Sunday. Peak hours are during weekday evenings and weekends (local time).
While minimal lesson planning is needed as a syllabus and teaching materials are provided, some time is still required for completing student reports and ongoing professional development.
Apollo English Requirements
Here are the requirements to become an Apollo English teacher:
- Full mastery of the English language (C1)
- A Bachelors Degree or higher
- 120-hour TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/Trinity teaching certificate
- Passionate about teaching
- Adaptability, flexibility, cultural sensitivity, and a willingness to teach across a range of classes
- Laptop or desktop computer with at least an i5 CPU and 8GB of RAM (Phones, tablets, and Chromebooks not allowed)
- Full HD Screen resolution (1920×1080)
- HD Webcam (2 megapixels or more)
- Headset with microphone (noise-cancelling recommended)
- A quiet, well-lit area to teach from
- Stable, high-speed internet connection measured through this official link, with a ping lower than 3ms and upload speed faster than 45mbps (though the application form accepts pings under 200ms, jitters lower than 30ms, and upload and download speeds of 15mbps)
- A plan B in case of power outages, periods of low connectivity, and faulty devices, e.g.:
- A backup device
- Hotspot device
- UPS or external power supply
- A nearby co-working space
- Able to submit a valid Criminal Record check from your home country or signed affidavit
Experience of teaching young learners is desirable.
Apollo English Hiring Process
The company provides several ways to apply to become an Apollo English online teacher:
- Apply via the Apollo English career page with your full name, email address, CV, and whether you have a teaching certificate and are in Vietnam or not
- Email your application directly to [email protected]
- Complete the online application form with your:
- Email address
- Full name
- How many hours per week do you intend/want to work?
- What time zone will you be working from?
- What is your weekly availability to teach online Monday-Friday?
- What is your weekly availability to teach online on Saturdays and Sundays?
- Could you share from which source/channel you heard about Apollo and this job opportunity?
- What do you find most difficult about teaching online and what methods have you used to overcome this challenge?
- What are two of your favorite games to play online with very young learners (4-6 year olds)?
- What are some methods you use for online classroom management? Please mention the age and level of the students you would use the methods with.
- Please list one way to use Total Physical response (TPR) in an online class.
- Attach digital copies of your:
- Passport information page
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teaching certificate
- Do you have the required tech listed?
- Upload a screenshot of your internet speed test using https://speedtest1.schoolcento.com/
- Upload a screenshot of your computer’s specifications
- Do you or will you have a plan B in place in cases of issues with your own device and/or connectivity?
- Provide the link to your demo teaching video
- Upload your Criminal Record check or signed affidavit
- Upload a scanned copy of your legalized and notarized C1 English proficiency certificate
- What is your earliest available start date?
Successful applicants will be invited to an online interview within a few days.
How to Prepare an Apollo English Demo Video
As part of the Apollo English recruitment process, you are required to upload a short teaching demo. Here are some guidelines suggested by the company about what they are looking for and how to prepare for this:
- Briefly introduce yourself (1-2 minutes)
- Deliver a 3-4 minute demo class aimed at young learners (6-9 years) on a topic of your choice (keep it simple!)
- Prepare well in advance by planning out the lesson’s content and delivery clearly
- Be as creative as you like with the content and delivery, so long as you provide a basic overview of your on-camera presence and online skills teaching young learners
- Do a test recording and self-assess both content and delivery
- Be energetic, engaging and professional
- Use TPR
- Deliver clear and simple instructions
- Project your voice clearly
- Make sure you look the part
- Have fun!
Apollo English Reviews – What Is It Like Working for Apollo English?
The Apollo English Glassdoor page provides an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, with 65% willing to recommend them (at the time of writing). Below is the summary of these reviews, which praise the work environment and professional development opportunities, though there are mixed views of the salary/pay and support, while the amount of admin is criticized (though these comments primarily come from Vietnam-based rather than online teachers):
One online teacher shares their personal insights in this Apollo English Reddit thread, where they discuss the company’s scheduling, pay, hours, teaching materials, and class sizes, and significantly that their availability is mostly filled, though they admit they receive a bonus for anyone they refer from this:
Conclusion – Is Apollo English a Good Option for Online Teachers?
Apollo English is a well-regarded company that has long been involved in ESL teaching, albeit largely on the ground in Vietnam. The expansion of their online provision is certainly promising, though they could be more transparent about their pay scales. They certainly seem like an option worth considering if you enjoy group classes, can accommodate the fixed schedule, minimum 10-hour week, and the more limited flexibility that comes with this.