Table of Contents
JustSchool Review Summary
JustSchool is an online ESL company from Ukraine that teaches adults and children 1v1 and in small groups. They hire experienced Native and Non-Native English Speakers (B2+) with no degree or teaching certification. However, while bookings can be good, the pay of $1.8-2.4 per 30-50min class is low.
|Pay (per lesson):||$1.8-$2.4|
|Language requirements:||English B2+ (Upper-Intermediate and higher)|
|Teaching certificate required?||No|
|Teaching experience required?||Yes|
|Student ages:||Choose from children, teens, or adults|
Small groups (up to 4)
|Peak Hours:||10am-8pm, Mon-Sun (EET)|
JustSchool Pros and Cons
- Bi-monthly payments
- No degree or teaching certificate required
- Open to Non-Native English Speakers (B2 or higher)
- Can select preferred age of student – children, teens, or adults
- Quick recruitment process
- Very low pay
- Some complaints towards management
- Uncertain how the war in Ukraine will affect the future
What Is JustSchool Online School?
JustSchool is an ESL teaching company that was founded in 2018 and is based in Kiev. It claims to be the number 1 online school in Ukraine, with over 800 teachers instructing 7000+ JustSchool students.
These students range from children to adults, and teachers are free to choose whichever age group they are most comfortable working with.
JustSchool English classes are conducted one-on-one or in small groups of up to 4 through the company’s interactive platform. Teachers are given access to lesson materials, as well as training, personal consultations with the school’s methodological support team, and continuous professional development.
JustSchool Salary Information
The JustSchool pay rate is relatively low, ranging between US $1.80 – $2.40 per lesson, depending on the class type and age of student:
|Lesson type||Length (mins)||Pay ($)|
|Young children 1v1||40||1.8|
|Older children 1v1||50||1.8|
Payments are issued twice a month according to the number of classes held.
JustSchool Hours and Schedule
Teachers are given flexibility to determine their own schedule, either part-time or full-time, though the most popular (peak) hours for students are between 10am-8pm Eastern European Time (EET), Monday to Sunday.
JustSchool ESL classes last 30 minutes for trials, 40 minutes for young learners (1v1), and 50 minutes for older children, adults, and groups. Brief comments must be filled in after each lesson.
The requirements to become a JustSchool teacher are:
- B2 Level of English (Upper-Intermediate and higher)
- Working experience in teaching English to children and adults
- Desire to work and learn quickly
- Desire to help and support Ukraine
- Ability to work in Kiev time-zone (EET)
- A computer/laptop, stable internet connection, and external headset with microphone
JustSchool Application Process
Here are several methods by which you can apply for JustSchool vacancies (in case one of the forms expires since publishing this article):
- Complete this application form with your:
- Full name
- Teaching experience
- Technical equipment
- Email address
- Upload your CV with your name, phone number, email address, and preferred method of communication
- Email your CV directly to [email protected]
Should you be selected for interview, you will be asked to share a bit about your life, hobbies, and work experience, as well as answer some questions about English grammar rules.
In all, it is possible to complete the JustSchool teacher application process within 4 working days.
JustSchool Reviews – What Is It Like Working for JustSchool?
The JustSchool Glassdoor page gives the company an overall score of 3.7 out of 5, with 53% willing to recommend them (at the time of writing). I have collated all the experiences from teaching staff below, who talk positively about the number and nature of the students, the flexible schedule, and quality of the materials, though there is criticism of management, the level of pay, and unclear fines:
- “Easy job and minimum oversight
- Amazing young people to teach, very positive and inspiring even under circumstances that they are currently facing. Their teaching materials are fantastic and well put together. Very impressive.
- Good students Fast and effective support Good pay
- Organizational and punctual company. Friendly team
- Good flow of students, stable work
- Flexible schedule, many clients, interactive platform
- flexible schedule and cute team
- nice flexible hours, tech support
- Good materials, nice environment, grow
- They are a very organized team.They are constantly improving their lessons and getting more students in the company
- Flexible schedule, support, a big number of students”
- “Abysmal pay, way below the market rate
- Pay is not good unfortunately due to the war there, and the management of the business is very young. So not very experienced when it comes to working with professionals.
- The company can motivate more of its employees
- Disrespect, low salary, seems like the management wants to use you only
- Low pay rate, not many opportunities to grow
- Invludes [sic] fines and low salary
- low salary, no pay for the first lesson
- No benefits for workers, all
- They are still a growing unit and can still improving on management.
- Low salary, sometimes unclear fines”
A small number of JustSchool work reviews can also be found on Indeed, providing an average rating of 3.3 out of 5. These again complement the students and teaching materials and complain about pay, adding that communication could also be improved:
- “They have a [sic] really awesome materials, so you do not need to prepare for the class at all and can just jump in a 2 minutes before the beginning of the class.
- Very few students available for teachers who can’t speak their native language but the student are very polite to work with and the teacher support is good.
- The kids I worked with were amazing. It was fun to teach them something new, solve problems, read and translate texts etc. However, even though Justschool paid on time, the salary when the war started was decreased by almost 50%. Also, teachers should have conducted trial lessons for kids for free. As a result, teachers got almost no income.
- The salary was not enough and communication could be a way better. But if you need money and probably some experience, it’s not the worst option after all.”
Conclusion – Is JustSchool Worth It for Teachers?
While the JustSchool application process is quick and simple, with a low barrier to entry, and reports of booking rates are good, the rate of pay is simply too little for most teachers unless you live in a country with an especially low cost of living. For higher-paying companies, check out our full list of online teaching jobs.