Table of Contents
Power English Center Summary
Power English Center is a Vietnamese ESL company recruiting Native-level English Speakers to teach adult professionals 1v1 online. Classes last 45-60mins, and they pay $14-17/hr via PayPal for graduates with a teaching certificate. They also support those wishing to travel to teach children in Vietnam.
|Pay (per hour):||$14-$17|
|Language/location requirements:||Native level of English proficiency (teachers living in the USA/Canada/New Zealand currently preferred)|
|Degree/diploma required?||University/college degree (major in Education/English preferred)|
|Teaching certificate required?||TESOL/CELTA/TEFL or equivalent|
|Teaching experience required?||Online teaching experience is a plus|
|Student ages:||Adult professionals (for online teaching)|
School teaching available for those looking to relocate to HCM City
|Class size:||1v1 via Zoom (for online teachers)|
|Class length:||45-60 mins|
|Hours (Indochina Time):||Mornings from 7.15-8am|
Afternoons from 12.30-1.15pm
Power English Center Pros and Cons
- Simple application process
- Previous teaching experience not required
- Adult professional learners
- Offers online teaching, but will also support those wanting to move to Vietnam to teach
- Relatively new to online teaching (though well-established locally)
- Selective about which countries they recruit from
- Must have a degree and teaching certificate to apply
- Not suitable for teachers who enjoy teaching children (unless you’re willing to move to Vietnam)
Is Power English Center Legit?
Power English Center is a legitimate education and training provider that is based in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Since their founding in 2014, they have delivered English instruction to over 30,000 Vietnamese students. The company’s legitimacy is underlined by its work with 30+ public schools and partnerships with major national brands including HDBank and Evolvable Asia.
About Power English Center Teaching
Power English Center currently employs around 70 contract teachers and they are looking to recruit more.
Teaching responsibilities include:
- Planning and delivering English lessons to students
- Preparing slides for each lesson
- Evaluate students’ class work, projects and assignments
- Collaborate with other staff to meet the course’s standards
Most online teaching will be Business English training for corporate personnel needing to improve their language skills for their job roles and career advancement. This takes place over Zoom with an individual learner. Face-to-face roles with younger learners are also available for teachers looking to relocate to Vietnam.
Course materials, including textbooks and a syllabus, are provided. Teachers also receive orientation, ongoing feedback and training activities.
The video below provides a glimpse into the company’s teaching culture:
Power English Center Salary Information
The Power English Center pay rate is between US$14-$17 per hour. This is paid via PayPal, and performance bonuses are also available.
Power English Center Hours and Schedule
Power English Center online classes last 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the learners’ needs.
The morning teaching schedule begins at 7.15-8am (Indochina Time), while afternoon classes start from 12.30-1.15pm.
Teachers are offered classes that fit their availability, and they are also expected to participate in meetings, workshops and other events.
Power English Center Requirements
The requirements to become an online teacher with Power English Center are:
- Native level of English language proficiency (currently there is a preference for English teachers living in the USA, Canada, and New Zealand)
- University/college degree (a major in Education/English is preferred)
- Teaching certificate (TESOL/CELTA/TEFL or equivalent)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable using a wide array of resources to build rich learning experiences
- Fast and stable internet connection, with a high quality webcam
- Be professional, responsible, competent and flexible
Previous teaching experience (preferably online) is a plus but not essential.
Power English Center Application Process
- Email address
- Phone number (optional)
- Current location
- Preferred start date
- CV (attach)
- Cover letter (optional)
- Degree (attach)
- Teaching certificate (attach)
- Passport (optional)
- Additional documents (optional)
Alternatively, you can email these documents and information to [email protected].
Those whose applications pass the initial screening will be invited to attend an interview and deliver a demonstration lesson.
For any teachers interested in moving to Vietnam to teach, then Power English will support them through their application process for a visa, work permit, and Temporary Residence Card (TRC).
Power English Center Reviews – What Is It Like Working for Power English Center?
The Power English Center Glassdoor page gives the company an overall score of 4.4 out of 5, with 100% willing to recommend them (though this is calculated from only 6 reviews at present).
I have collated the experiences of Power English Center teachers below, who talk positively about the pay, number of teaching hours, and curriculum that is provided, as well as the company’s communication, professionalism and reliability. There are, however, complaints about the low performance bonus, amount of planning required, and the condition and size of public school classes (though this won’t apply for online teachers):
- “Fair pay. They provide enough teaching hours if you prove to be a good teacher. Not much lesson planning. Supportive teaching assistants. Good communicaton with the HR. They support you with wp and TRC
- PEC places English teachers in public school (and a few other environments, actually). This is one of the few companies left in Ho Chi Minh City that are reliable and treat their teachers well. Generally, everything is run professionally. The quality of education is lacking, but this also means less expectations on the teacher. The company is not very demanding, and the curriculum is provided. They have schools all over the city and so there is flexibility in hours, location and age/level. No busy work, no office hours, and no pointless meetings. They generally know how to retain most teachers. Once you work with the company for a while it’s possible to find a school, schedule, and students that you are happy with. It’s a good place to stay for a few years, or to get your foot in the door working in the city.
- Nice job without far much pressure in public schools
- • Plenty of hours • You only have to be at the school for the hours you’re scheduled to teach, the rest of your time you can go home. Unlink international schools • Relatively easy lessons • Chance to teach less economically privileged students • Great communication
- – Good people. – Good pay. – A lot of hours available (hours, class sizes, and planning times will depend on what school you are placed at – I was placed in a public high school).”
- “Too many unpaid holidays/days off if you teach in public high schools. Low performance bonus
- Most of the downsides are due to the teaching environment: public schools. Every class has around 45 students in a small room. The conditions at each school varies, wildly. Schools may or may not use air conditioning, and many are filthy. Schools can be extremely loud, either from your class or just because of ambient noise at the school. Students might be out of control or exhibit great behavior. PEC provides a TA, but few of them are actually helpful.
- The average salary for an intermediate teaching assistant.
- • Large class sizes (45-50) students • Hot! No A/C’s
- – A lot of students in each class (it is a public school). – A lot of planning is involved (many different classes and levels). – Not too many cons besides that – it’s either for you or it’s not.”
Google also currently provides a rating of 4 out of 5 drawn from 22 reviews. Below are the experiences of teachers, who complement the staff and reliable payments, though there is some criticism of the pay, and there are mixed opinions on the schedule (steady for one teacher but not another):
Conclusion – Is Power English Center Worth It for Teachers?
Power English Center is a well-established ESL company within Vietnam, though they are relatively new to online teaching and it is yet to be seen whether their consistent teaching schedules are sustained on this platform. They are also selective about which countries they hire from, whilst currently only offering adult students remotely. Those who prefer teaching children online might therefore wish to consider other teaching jobs.